At all age groups fixtures are co-ordinated and scheduled according to the clubs philosophy and focusing on fun competitive football.
Philosophy on competition
The club recognises that other sports and distractions play a part in young players lives but, to be able to take players through to Under 18 level (and to be able to feed further to open-age teams), a core team and squad need to be developed.
On no account should the club coaches “poach” other players from existing teams. If a team is disbanding or struggling and likely to disband, an approach through the clubs secretary to their club is required (refer to player transfers process).
Introduction to playing
Children should not play any more than the FA recommended game time in a given day. There should also be a minimum 48hrs between any fixtures to allow sufficient rest time for players.
- U6’s and below: Training only / develop individual skills / slowly introduce matches / no pressure ‘Try’ the game opportunity
- U7’s – U10’s: Regular matches / introduce teamwork and positional play / rotate positions / fair-reasonable playing time / reward performance and effort over winning
- U11’s upwards: Regular matches / develop strong team ethic / position specific / competitive team selection policy rewarding performance and effort
No player shall be permitted to play (on a given day) more than one game or, in the event the competition allows for a double-header, a maximum of;
- 40 minutes (U7’s – U8’s)
- 60 minutes (U9’s – U10’s)
- 80 minutes (U11’s – U12’s)
- 100 minutes (U13’s – U16’s)
- 120 minutes (U17’s – U18’s)
What others say…
Fun competitive football
“Tigers is a local club which was recommended by friends. Tigers is a friendly local club with great teams for children of all abilities and a very professional feel to how the club is run.”
“Thurlby Tigers, a great local club, well organised with a great reputation. A welcoming club which encourages young children to work as a team.”